ROASTED TOMATO, GARLIC & SQUASH RISOTTO
Cooked at home with allotment produce -15/10/1
250g risotto rice
1 small butternut squash (roughly 350-400gms)
150g cherry tomatoes
1 large onion
50g Chard or spinach, washed
2 cloves garlic
Rosemary, salt & pepper,
750ml veg stock incl 100ml wine (optional)
Rocket, parsley or other green herb to garnish
Grated quality hard cheddar or parmesan to taste
Set Oven to Gas mark 5/ 190C or 375F
- Place a tablespoon of olive oil in a roasting dish and place in the oven
- Peel the squash with a sharp knife (chopping in half and de-seeding along the way). Chop into 1cm thick segments
- Chop the tomatoes in half
- Chop the garlic and rosemary
- Place the chopped squash and toms, in the hot roasting dish. Season liberally with the garlic, rosemary and salt and place in the oven for 30mins
- Meanwhile in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, put in a dsp of olive oil to warm. Chop the onions and add to the oil once it is warm, with a small pinch of salt (this releases the sulphur from the onions). Let this saute for 5 mins
- Add the risotto rice, stir and saute for a further 5 mins.
- Now add some of the stock water- approx a quarter. Stir frequently whilst it is absorbed.
- Chop the washed chard or spinach. Add to the cooking risotto.
- At this stage check the roasting veg. If the surface has browned, using two forks, turn all pieces of veg over to brown on the other side.
- When the stock is absorbed, continue to add the stock bit by bit. This should take approx 25 mins.
- Keep an eye on the roasting veg. It should be done after 30 minutes. Once a little browned and crispy, remove from the oven.
- When the risotto rice has absorbed all the stock and is cooked, add the roasted veg. Stirring it in gently so as not to mush it.
- Season with a little grated strong cheese and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a covering of washed rocket, parsley or other preferred herb. Then grate some strong cheese over it.